Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A day in the shop

Have you ever wondered what my day's in the shop is like....... Well, probably not. LOL, Wheather you have, or haven't, I will tell you what all I did today.

The shop looks a LOT better since I cleaned it up!!!

First things first. Coffe and making a plan of what to make.

Also have to have some good country music.

Time to cut!!! I am using a new bandsaw that we
just bought. I LOVE this little machine!!!

A close up!!!

OK. I have most of it cut, now to mark it and hammer it!!!

And that means working with FIRE!!!! I used to use kerosene to light my fires, but uuhhh some times it didn't work out so well. So now what I do is shave off a hand full of cedar, to do this I use the shaving horse and draw knife


Then I split some white pine in to cigarete size pieces.

Now light the cedar!!!!!

Well... At least it's just a little smoke......

As usual I spoke to soon.
.
While the smoke clears I mark out the metal that I have to taper.

Now that's HOT!!!! If you don't beleve me then
 touch a piece of metal that looks like this.

The metal I was working with was pretty short, but thankfully
I have these kevlar gloves that my good friend Dave Custer gave me!!! Thanks Dave

OK. That looks about right

Later on I put a twist in this angle brace.
It took me about an hour and a half to do all of this, I know it might seem a little slow, but hammering 1/2" steel to a point, and twisting it is no little project.
 After lunch I started on a hanging pot rack (yesssss I will post photo's soon) all four sides will be hammer textured, and will be rivited together....I think
Well it's 10:00 pm and I am tired, so as they said on the "Walton's" "Good night Johnboy"

No comments: