Thursday, June 2, 2011

Garden Beds!!!!!

For the past week I have been building some raised garden beds out of wood, I built the last one today, and we were able to get Prentice Knight to come over with his skid steer. That way Dad and I didn't have to shovel all the dirt in the beds. Some might call us lazy because of that, but I have had my fill with a shovel. LOL
The dirt was behind the barn, so I had to move the fence so Jake wouln't  get out.
 Here is Dad showing showing Prentice how he wants the dirt moved in the beds.
 Here are the beds, filled and ready for planting.
 This one here is just a small one Dad had me put up at the last minute, he said that he is going to put tomatoes there. That way the fence will act as a tomato cage. I am not convinced that it will work.
I was going to plant some stuff in them this evening, but I have some blacksmith work I need to do. If I think of it I will take some photos of what I am making in the shop.

4 comments:

dp said...

Looks good. We got a lot of gardening done this week since it finally dried up after all the rain we've had. We have about 150 tomato plants, 260 sweet potatoes, several long rows of dried beans and green beans, lots of peanuts, many melons and squash, pop corn, and sweet corn in addition to the 32 pounds of onion sets, 50 pounds of seed potatoes, peas, lettuce, beets, etc. that we put out earlier. We about have it all in now. We're planning on doing some later plantings of a few things, too.

Blacksmith Chase said...

Now THATS a garden!!!!! I would like to have one like yours, but the only tillable land on our whole farm is the front yard, and Dad won't let me plow it up. :) I guess I will have to settle with what we have until we sell our farm, then on the new place I will try to put out a 10 acre garden.

dp said...

10 acres?! Are you wanting to go into business selling vegetables? That would be a lot of weeds to pull!

I think you ought to till up that front yard -- you'll save gas since you won't have to mow, and you'll have good, homegrown food!

Blacksmith Chase said...

I would like to till up the front yard, but we are trying to sell our place, and I don't think that would realy help the sell of it. Besides, Dad would kill me, and bring me back to life just so he could kill me again. hahahahaha